• THE PROGRAM: Directors / The Marching Band / Concert Bands / Jazz Bands / Color Guard / Drumline / Honors Credit / Band Fees / Private Lessons / • BIG EVENTS: Football / Marchathon / Gift Market / Big Band Dance / Cowtown Rocks / Annual Trip
• SUPPORT: Spirit Items / Restaurant Nights / Flamingo Flockings / Physicals / Rewards Programs / Donate to Band / • PARENTS & COMMUNITY: Join Boosters / Freshman Liaisons / Booster Business / Alumni & History / Volunteers
History of R.L. Paschal High School and The Panter Band
Paschal's Eady History
In 1885 R.L. Paschal High School was founded under the name of Fort Worth High School. In 1891 the first Fort Worth High School was built and was considered the finest school building in Texas. This building burned down in 1910. The school was then built on the corner of Rosedale and Jennings and classes went on as usual. The panthewr was adopted as mascot in 1910 and came from Fort Worth's nickname "Panther City." Fort Worth High School was rebuilt in a new location and was renamed Central High School from 1918-1923. In 1935, R.L. Paschal, who had been principal since 1906, retired, and the school was renamed after him. The first classes held at the school's current location were in the fall of 1955. Paschal became the largest high school facility in Fort Worth.
The Band is Formed
In 1922 the Panther Band was formed as an auxiliary to the ROTC under the direction of J.C. King. It wasn't until the '30s that the band became more integrated into the high school. The band continued growing and evolving through the '40s participating in parades, concerts, and a band trip to San Angelo to see the world premiere of The Westerner. By 1942, the band had grown to 30 members. The "show" in 1947 consisted of the formation of a line at half-time for the football team returning back to the field.
The 1950s saw the formation of the Pom-Pom girls group. By the 1980s the group of girls became a Drill Team and performed at half time with the band playing. In 1989, the Flag Corps was formed. Today they are called the Color Guard and they are an award-winning group that truly enhances the half-time shows of the Panther Band.
Since the 1960s, the Paschal Band has continued to grow and has gone through many changes from new uniforms to new band halls, to forming the Stage Band (now Jazz Band). Paschal's band history is rich with performances in countless parades, including the Cotton Bowl, a tour of Europe by the Stage Band, and numerous awards.
Panther Band Directors
1922-1923 J.C. King
1924-1927 W.C. Wiley
1928-1939 Ed Crites
1940-1942 Kenneth McGarrity
1943-1962 N.J. Whitehurst
1963-1968 Phillip W. Hewett
1969-1971 Phillip L. Aikman
1972 David Tucker
1973-1986 Robert C. Taylor
1987-1993 Lary Harrison
1994-1995 Bobby Hesch
1996-1998 Bobby Kincaid
1998-2003 Brian Standridge
2003-2008 Mario Casanova
2008-2010 Darrin Duff
2010-present Bryan Wright
First known photo of the band: taken in 1929. Top row, fourth from left, is famous Tex Beneke who went on to lead the Glenn Miller Orchestra. He also sang on the first song ever to be certified as a "gold record": Chattanooga Choo Choo.
The band marching downtown in 1930
1942 trumpet player
Band in 1953
Majorettes in 1955
THE PROGRAM: Directors / The Marching Band / Concert Bands / Jazz Bands / Color Guard / Drumline / Honors Credit / Band Fees / Private Lessons / BIG EVENTS: Marchathon / Gift Market / Big Band Dance / Cowtown Rocks / Annual Trip
SUPPORT: Spirit Items / Restaurant Nights / Flamingo Flockings / Physicals / Rewards Programs / Donate to Band / PARENTS & COMMUNITY: Join Boosters / Freshman Liaisons / Booster Business / Alumni & History / Volunteers
Disclaimer: This website is not authorized by the Fort Worth Independent School District. It is maintained by the Paschal Band Boosters Association. If you have any questions/problems with the website, please contact the webmaster.